Useful Organisations

Whether you are a trauma injury survivor, the family and carer of a survivor, you’ve witnessed a traumatic event or have lost a loved one through trauma, there are services out there that can help you get your life back on track.  You can click on the headings below to get to the relevant sections on this page.

Injury specific websites











Injury Specific Websites

Living with a brain injury

Headway offers information and support for people affected by a brain injury, as well as resources for professionals working in the brain injury field. Phone 0808 800 2244, email:

The Silver Lining Charity runs free and low cost community activities for all those affected by brain injury.

The Disabilities Trust is a leading UK charity providing support for people with complex needs. This group includes the British Brain Injury Rehabilitation Trust (BIRT). BIRT provides residential and day services to meet the needs of individuals with Autism, Brain Injury, Physical Disability and Learning Disability. They also provide care and support to enable living in the community and support at home.

People with brain injuries sometimes need to support of clinical neuropsychologists. The British Psychological Society has a register of psychologists in this speciality.  Also, the Brain and Spine Foundation has a free helpline run by neuro nurses: call 0808 808 1000.

The Bridges website provides information and links to services that help people with Long Term Neurological Conditions (LTNC) to develop self-management skills. The Bridges self-management program was originally developed in 2005 in response to a need for improved long term support for stroke survivors, but their Self-Management guide is also useful for people with neurological injuries sustained through trauma.

Living with a spinal cord injury

The Spinal Injuries Association (SIA) is a national user-led charity for spinal cord injured (SCI) people. They provide support services for people with spinal cord injury from hospital visits to support in the community, plus a peer support programs and a range of other practical advice and assistance.

Through its projects and programmes, Aspire offers practical support to the 40,000 people living with a spinal cord injury in the UK so that they can lead fulfilled and independent lives in their homes, with their families, in work places and in leisure time. Aspire is particularly active with fundraising and engaging users in activities.

The Brain and Spine Foundation provides on the full range of brain and spine conditions.  They have a free hotline staffed by neuroscience nurses:  0808 808 1000

The Back Up Trust provides support and a range of community activities for people affected by spinal cord injury.

Living with facial injury

The Saving Faces Charity undertakes research to improve treatments for facial diseases, injury and disfigurement.  They have resources to help patients with facial injury.

Orthopaedic trauma and limb loss

The Limbless Association provides information and support to UK amputees and the limb loss community.

The NHS provides information for amputees on the recovery process following a limb removal, including stump care and fitting prosthetics.

Limbcare is a Charity offering advice and support for the limb impaired.

Pelvic fractures and related injuries

Pelvic fractures (as well as neurological damage) can impact bowel and bladder function. The Bladder and Bowel Foundation provides advice and support on bladder and bowel control.

Recovery from Intensive Care

The Intensive Care Unit Support Teams for Ex-Patients (ICUsteps) charity was founded in 2005 by ex-patients, their relatives and ICU staff to support patients and their families through the long road to recovery from critical illness. There are support groups around the UK and an on-line community.

The Intensive Care Society provides information to patients and relatives that is relevant to each step of a patient's treatment and recovery from critical illnes

Living with a stroke

Some people suffer a stroke in the aftermath of their injury, the Stroke Association provides advice and support.

Rehabilitation and SUPPORT services

Please talk to your GP if you feel you require any additional rehabilitation at home or help form social services in your local area'.  Private rehabilitation can be provided through several private organisations but many are specific for patients with brain injuries such as QEF.

Depending on the circumstances of your injury, an injuries lawyer may be able to help you access compensation to pay for private rehabilitation services and support. 

Local authorities in the UK have a duty to assess anyone who appears to have care and support needs. The best way to get help from your local authority is to ask for a needs assessmentYou can find your local council here.

The Red Cross provides a volunteer service that helps people make the transition home from hospital into a normal routine, and provides practical help like collecting prescriptions, first aid and companionship.

The Sarah Hope Line is run by Transport for London (TFL) and offers support for those affected by death or injury on the TFL network.

PACE Rehabilitation provide a coordinated multi-disciplinary service to individuals who have sustained limb loss and/or serious limb injury.

If you find it difficult to move around your home, or deal with the usual activities of daily living, this site offers suggestions of where to go to get help with modifications.

If you need a stairlift to help with mobility, Stairlift Guru provides a range of information and help.

The Therapy Directory is an online complementary resource hub for a variety of therapies including speech, occupational health, physiotherapy, reflexology and more.

Carer and family support

Carers UK provides support and campaigns on behalf of the UK’s 6.5 million (unpaid) carers, and includes a forum for carers to connect and talk.

You local authority can give you a carer's assessment which could result in providing support for you if you're an unpaid/family carer. You can find your local authority here.

The Princess Royal Trust for Carers is the largest provider of support services for carers in the UK. The organisation provides advocacy and information about support services available for carers, and their website includes a discussion board.

The NHS Choices website provides information on the kinds of social support services available for people with a care need (such as a temporary or permanent disability) and for their carers. The range of services covered include: equipment, help in your home or a care home, community activities, day centres, home adaptations, residential care, financial support, information and advisory services, and support for carers.

Financial and legal help

If you are struggling financially after an accident, the Citizens Advice Bureau can offer advice and support on a number of money issues, including information on benefits available to sick and disabled people and their carers. You can find your local office by visiting their website.

The Department of Work and Pensions also lists the types of benefits and allowances available to people with disabilities and their carers.

The Gov UK website also provides a comprehensive information about benefits, disability rights and support for carers.

Some people may be able to claim compensation if they have had an injury. The Law Society can advise you on lawyers in your local area who specialise in this field.

The Association of Personal Injury Lawyers provides general legal information relating to personal injury, and provides a list of professionally accredited lawyers who specialise in injury and can help with compensation claims.

The Solicitors Regulation Authority provides advice to consumers on how to check that your solicitor is bona-fide and what to do if you have any concerns.

The Headway website has a list of over 180 firms across the UK who specialise in brain injury cases. 

If you have been off work following your accident, you will need to get a sick note from your GP. If you feel you will need to make some adjustments to get back to work, you can apply for an Access to Work grant. An Access to Work grant can pay for practical support  if you have a disability, health or mental health condition to help you start working, stay in work or move into self-employment.

Turn 2 Us is a national charity providing financial and other support for people who have fallen on hard times.

Action on Disability and Work UK provide personal support to individuals with disabilities or long term health conditions including help with job hunting, removing barriers in the workplace, talking to employers.

If you have a disability, local councils can provide you with parking stickers and mobility aids. You can find your local council here.

This article details financial assistance available if you need to modify your home due to a disability.

If you need a stairlift to get up and down stairs, you may be eligible for a grant. Stairlifts Reviews can help you find grants and provides information about the models of stairlift available.

If you are organising an event and want to make sure it is accessible for people with disabilities, you can find detailed help with this guide to disability awareness and accessibility planning.

Mental and Emotional support

Coping with distress

ASSIST Trauma Care employ experienced therapists trained to work with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and the after-effects of trauma in line with current evidence-based practices.  These services charge fees.

Mind is a mental health charity, dedicated to providing information and support to people with mental health problems, as well as their friends and family. Information includes symptoms and treatment for different disorders, including Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Mind has branches around the country and a list can be found on their website.

Relate provides information and support to help people with their relationships including face-to-face counselling, online and telephone counselling for people at any age and any stage of couple, family and social relationships.

Counselling Directory provides a searchable database to find a counsellor or psychotherapist in your local area, as well as listing events and other resources.

The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy provides details of counselors and psychotherapists in your area. The Hypnotherapy Directory provides information about PTSD and practitioners that specialize in hypnotherapy for this disorder.

Samaritans provides confidential, unbiased emotional support, 24 hours a day, for people who feel distressed, desperate or suicidal. Helpline: 08457 90 90 90

Combining breathing, meditation and paying attention to the present moment, ‘mindfulness’ is a technique for helping people change the way they think, feel and act to reduce stress, anxiety and depression. The Be Mindful site provides access to on-line training courses which teach mindfulness.


There are many resources available which aim to help people cope with the devastating loss of a loved one.

Mind provides information about some of the feelings that can come up for you, as well as a list of organisations that can provide grief counselling, networking and support.

Cruse Bereavement Care provides counselling, support, information, advice, education and training services to the friends and relatives of someone who has died, to help them understand their grief and cope with their loss.

Care for the Family provides support and a befriending service for bereaved parents and Compassionate Friends is an organisation of bereaved parents.

Child Bereavement UK supports families and educates professionals when a child of any age dies or is dying, or when a child is facing bereavement.

Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide provides support to help overcome the isolation people often feel if they lose a loved one to suicide.

This is a directory of all the bereavement counsellors, support groups and charities in the UK.

The UK Care Guide details the practical issues you need to deal with when someone passes away and has helpful links.

Self Harm

The Support After Suicide Partnership offers emotional and practical help and advice, including how to help others affected by suicide.

Campaign Against Living Miserably aims to raise awareness about the prevalence of suicide attempts particularly amongst young men, and supports a range of preventative projects.

Interpersonal violence

Victim Support provides practical and emotional support and advice to people who have been affected by crime. This includes victims of interpersonal violence and other people affected by the violence, including friends and family.



Transport related injuries

BRAKE is a road-safety charity dedicated to stopping deaths and injuries on roads and caring for people whose relative or friend has been killed or injured on the road.

Road Peace is the national charity dedicated to helping road crash victims. They provide practical and emotional support (primarily to relatives and friends who have lost a loved one through a road accident), as well as advocacy services aimed at providing justice for victims and reducing the road toll.

Living with a disability

Disability Rights UK provides a wide range of information, products and services by and for disabled people.

Awareness and prevention

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents is dedicated to educating the public and policy makers about ways to prevent injuries in the community, home and work.

Drop the Weapons is a website set up by the Metropolitan Police to deter people from engaging in gun and knife violence by providing information and links to support services.

Red Thread and St Giles Trust SOS Project are organisations that provide early support to young victims of violence, including in London's major trauma centres, to help break cycles of violence including gang related.

Growing Against Violence is a public health and public safety programme, delivering evidence based violence prevention education sessions. It provides a continuum of engagement, with age appropriate sessions delivered universally to students in school years 6 through to 10  (age range approx. 10 – 15).

In 2008, 16 year old Ben Kinsella was killed by a knife attack in Islington, the 17th child so killed that year. The Ben Kinsella Trust was set up to reduce the incidence of knife violence through awareness raising and education.

The London Cycling Campaign is a group that lobbies for safer conditions for London’s cyclists.

The Campaign Against Living Miserably aims to raise awareness about male suicide, supports preventative projects and provides a helpline and on-line community.

Sharing personal stories

The After Trauma Forum on this site is the only on-line community in the UK dedicated to the needs and experiences of people impacted by traumatic injuries. This site also hosts a range of stories and videos from trauma survivors talking about their experiences. However, there are other websites and on-line communities where people share their stories of illness and recovery which can include trauma.

Healthtalk covers a wide range of personal experiences of health problems and illness. It includes videos of people who have been through different illnesses and includes sections on survivor’s experience of life changing injury – including brain injury, spinal injury, limb loss, sensory loss and burns. The videos cover topics ranging from the cause of the injury, hospital stay and medical treatment, rehabilitation and adjusting to a new life. There are also video interviews with people who have been bereaved through traumatic injury, including victims of crime.

Caring Bridge is an international site where people experiencing a variety of illnesses and injuries (or their loved ones) can reach out to other people for emotional support and encouragement.

A large number of community based groups around the world use HealthUnlocked to set up support groups for a range of specific health conditions.

Many people feel the need to keep the memory of their lost loved one alive, and to tell others about their lives. Much Loved is a Charity website where people can post memorials to their loved ones. 

Peer Support Groups

Day One is a dedicated traumatic injury charity based in Leeds and supporting Leeds General Infirmary Major Trauma Centre..  Their services include organising a peer support group and hospital visitation programme. 


Crash Support Network is a unique one-of-a-kind website based in North America that provides a helpful resource for survivors of motor vehicle crashes

The USA based Trauma Survivors Network provides resources for trauma patients, families and practitioners. Some of the information on this website has been drawn from this network with their kind permission.

Major trauma - from discharge to recovery -  is an Australian website that talks about the experience of discharge and recovery after major trauma, with helpful advice on how to cope.

The Society of Cognitive Rehabilitation is an on-line American resource for people with Acquired Brain Injury/ Traumatic Brain Injury.

After The Injury is an American on-line resource to support parents help their children recover from injury and trauma.