Brain function

Discussions about recovering from traumatic brain injury (TBI).

Moderators: bobcat, Caroline, forum_admin

Brain function

by Jo Bloggs » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Hi, just wondered if you can advise if brain function can improve after a trauma. I had a motorcycle accident where I was dragged under a lorry and got trapped in a wheel. I don't remember anything about the accident but I obviously got a bump on my head through the crash helmet and then suffered with dizzy spells for around 6 months where I was told my marbles were settling back down again. I was given ketamine at the scene.

my memory is atrocious now and if I start doing something like turning on the tap and then think about doing something else like making a sandwich, I will completely forget I turned the tap on. it's really frustrating! Sometimes I don't even remember that I have forgotten something.

I have to write things down straight away at work that I get asked to do otherwise I haven't a hope of remembering.

it's nearly four years since the accident, will I ever improve or is this it now?

I am still having counselling which has helped a great deal to move on. got diagnosed with a form of PTSD.

Once you've damaged some brain cells, im guessing they've gone forever?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Re: Brain function

by Trauma expert » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:30 pm

There are usually considered to be 2 main elements to brain function the structural damage and the altered psychology associated with major illness both of course are linked to each other. After 4 years structural damage is unlikely to change either for the worse or very much for the better. However if you did not suffer a major physical brain injury such as a significant extra cerebral compression by haematoma, profound or prolonged hypoxic damage due to asphyxia or prolonged hypotension or indeed direct brain injury with oedema and or intracerebral haemorrhage or infarction it is possible that with help you can learn new behaviours that will overcome the problem you describe. Very often this relies on finding the right person that has the skills that just happen to suit your needs as it is not an exact science but I would look for cognitive behavioural therapists with an interest in memory disorders. Usually the local GPs surgey is the place to start. You could if you can explain your symptoms and there is a record of your head injury try to get a referral from your GP to your regional head injury rehabilitation service but they are often over run and prioritise those with severe physical brain injury and consequent physical disability, leaving the crippling headache and forgetfulness to others to deal with, and often there is no specific service for these problems.

Re: Brain function

by forum_admin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:34 pm

Hi Jo, sorry to hear about your struggles, I'm just wanting to let you know our volunteer trauma surgeon has been very ill with pneumonia - we're not ignoring you! I'm organising for either our surgeon or one of the neuro experts to get back to you as soon as possible. Best
Forum Administrator
Site Admin