How can AfterTrauma help me recover?

Comments and suggestions on how to improve this website as a resource for helping people recover from traumatic injury experiences.

Moderators: bobcat, Caroline, forum_admin

How can AfterTrauma help me recover?

by TraumaHoff » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:54 pm

I am interested to know how I can use this website to help with my recovery?

Re: How can AfterTrauma help me recover?

by Jo Bloggs » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi, I was really pleased to hear that this website is up and running as I believe it will help people realise that there are others out there who have suffered similar traumas to what they are going through and to be able to chat with someone else who understands is a priceless commodity. I went through a very bad situation myself a few years ago and am still recovering and having counselling as you cannot speak to your friends or family as you don't wish to upset them. Getting advice from any one who can relate to you and how you feel is brilliant!

by Caroline » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:05 am

Hi
I had a traumatic accident 18 months ago and I ended up seeing a trauma psychologist to help me sort through all of my emotions, anger and feeling s of helplessness. I think that this web site can help you to find others who understand what you are going through. I wish After Trauma had been around for me. Professional help plays its part but talking to some one who has been there is invaluable.

by Jo Bloggs » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:53 pm

I absolutely agree with Caroline and wish something had been around when I was suffering and needed help. Knowing you are not the only person in the world suffering, definitely helps. when you are unable to think properly and can't talk to those around you as you don't wish to worry them!

by DuncanBuckley » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:58 pm

I totally agree with Caroline and Joe, having a forum to share advice and help for others who may be experiencing similar trauma and need similar coping mechanisms that you may have gone through already but have not yet made the connections, is of great use.

Suffering through the anguish and hardship of major trauma is quite a lonely experience; you need a dedicated and understanding family network (be that blood relations or others), and a frame of mind that meets challenges head on.

Serious trauma is life and personality changing, when it happens you can experience many different emotional states with your "world" suddenly getting smaller around you. Even the most easiest of tasks, that you previously took for granted, become a military operation and can be the source of vast frustration and anger.

A site and forum, such as this, will help to bring other victims of poly-trauma and major trauma together to share their different experiences and show that you're not alone in coping with those difficulties. While your injuries are unique to you, you can draw inspiration from others in the way you deal with them.