Living with Trauma

General discussion about new trauma related topics that have yet to be put into categories.

Moderators: bobcat, Caroline, forum_admin

Living with Trauma

by edbaker_ed » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:34 pm

Dear All,
The experience of rehabilitation and recovery after any traumatic injury is often long paved with obstacles and difficulties. I have a few questions that I would like you to consider and if you feel able, reply to. Your response will help me to develop my ideas about how trauma research can help the people directly involved as well people who are injured in the future.

Would you feel that research into the experience of recovering from a major physical trauma beneficial or intrusive?

Would you prefer this to happen at the trauma centre where you were treated or in your own home?

Would telephone conversations and an tablet/android app be easier or more difficult than face to face discussion with a health care professional/research?

Do you know where to go if your recovery is not happening as you would expect?

Were you prepared for the journey to recovery that you are currently on?

I thank you in advanced and if you would prefer to private message me, my details are as follows:
            edward.e.baker@kcl.ac.uk

Re: Living with Trauma

by forum_admin » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:23 am

All good questions Ed, hope you get some responses. Looking forward to catching up next week, Nicole
            Forum Administrator
            Site Admin

by DuncanBuckley » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:17 pm

Dear Ed,

I can certainly help with some answers on your topic:

Would you feel that research into the experience of recovering from a major physical trauma beneficial or intrusive?
            From a personal perspective, I would have relished the opportunity to be involved in research regarding rehabilitation from suffering major trauma. My only disappointment from my own stay in hospital, was that I was not directly involved in any research at the time. It has been only afterwards, during my recovery, that I have sought out the researchers through PPI involvement.

Would you prefer this to happen at the trauma centre where you were treated or in your own home?
            I suppose this is dependent on the timeline of recovery from date of incident and if regular clinic visits are still progressing. Either option would be acceptable if it limits any inconvenience on the patient.

Would telephone conversations and an tablet/android app be easier or more difficult than face to face discussion with a health care professional/research?
            Not for me, but then my age is such that a technological solution would be just as easy. Talking about it acts as a sort of therapy, although it can be difficult to lucidly speak about the injuries or memories without some emotional difficulty. For me, I would find either a face to face, telephone conversation, or app solution just as workable.

My initial contact that I relied upon was through my GP. I did, at one point in my recovery (but only because of the excellent relationship I had) have my clinicians mobile number in the event of questions. That was a real comfort.

Nothing can prepare you for such a traumatic journey. If you had come to me some time before my accident and told me what I was to go through and if I would cope, I would probably have said no. When survival and coping are your only focus, you adapt in ways you never dreamed you were capable of. One of the most challenging aspects of major trauma is the mental side; the experience and trauma shape your personality and you can find that the person you once were has changed (it has in my case). Bones heal, nerves regrow (in some cases), soft tissue heals over time, but the mind has a more myriad complexity that can be difficult to predict, and it is that in the long term that helps you along your journey.

by PaulTerrell » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:57 pm

Dear Ed, Here are my answers:
            Personally I would regard research as only beneficial. If the approach is sensitive and is able to present the advantages to other survivors I believe all AT patients would wish to contribute except those who are unable due to psychological or physical reasons.

I was not related at a centre but it would make no difference to me.

I prefer face to face because there is the possibility of more coming out of the exchange than is likely with an app. However, for long term research or for longer questionnaires apps are fabulous, especially if they can be filled in a bit at a time.

I would only think of going to my GP.

Strangely, I think I was very well prepared. I would even describe the event as an initiation. I woke up on the ground and once I realised that I had been in a collision and was being taken care of I visioned myself as in full and high level health, singing with my friends. My body started singing as well. I held this vision until my body was back to normal which took nearly a year. I was back working with seminars after eight weeks and physically after eleven weeks. Doing somersaults took four months. Having practiced a number of mental strategies over many years I found they were available immediately and fear never arose or doubt that I would fully recover at any time. It helps that I do not have a particular fear of death and I have a world view that includes a large amount of plasticity in humans.